Nuclear waste

Nuclear waste is a type of hazardous waste that contains radioactive material. Radioactive waste is a by-product of various nuclear technology processes. Industries generating radioactive waste include nuclear medicine, nuclear research, nuclear power, manufacturing, construction, coal and rare-earth mining and nuclear weapons reprocessing.[1] Radioactive waste is regulated by government agencies in order to protect human health and the environment. In modern nuclear plants over 96% of spent fuel is recycled back into uranium-based and MOX fuel. Radioactivity of the remaining 4% fission products naturally decreases over time, so it has to be isolated and confined in appropriate disposal facilities for a sufficient period until it no longer poses a threat.

Total Page Visits: 792 - Today Page Visits: 1

About the Author: madushanka141

You might like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *